It’s National Bed Month – and no, that doesn’t mean you can stay in bed for a month – but it does mean there’s no better time to be taking a look at what you’re sleeping on and how well you sleep
A good night’s sleep makes us all feel so much better and a comfortable, supportive bed is essential for a good night’s sleep. While the right bed plays a crucial part in getting a good night’s sleep, so does the right bedroom environment.
Here our top tips on how to create the perfect sleeping environment:
1) Have your room completely dark, if necessary use blackout curtains or use an eye mask.
2) Make sure your room isn’t too hot or too cold, keep it slightly cool around 16-18°C (60-65°F).
3) Don’t treat your bedroom as an extension of your living room or a study. Avoid having a television or computer in the bedroom, and turn off your mobile phone and anything with an LED display.
4) Fill your bedroom with beautiful things such as photographs of loved ones, artwork that you like, plants and flowers.
5) Try to paint your bedroom with calming colours, for example muted and pastel colours.
6) Sprinkle a pot pourri with essential oils of lavender or geranium to make you feel relaxed and calm before sleeping.
7) Make sure you’re sleeping in a comfortable, supportive bed. The bigger the better too.
You spend over 20,000 hours on your bed during its seven-year lifespan so it’s worth taking a little time and effort in making the right choice when buying your bed.
Here are our tips for picking the right mattress:
1) Decide your priorities and concerns in advance. For example, price, storage and size.
2) Lie down in your normal sleeping position and make some turns, too. Wear comfortable clothing and remove any outdoor gear.
3) Don’t forget a bed is a mattress and a base working together – don’t consider them in isolation.
4) Think big – larger beds are more comfortable
5) You get what you pay for – both in product and service – so spend as much as you can afford.